Re: Fwd: [GNU-linux-libre] A call to free software, and its users

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: Fwd: [GNU-linux-libre] A call to free software, and its users
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 15:52:48 -0300

On Aug 19, 2009, Diego Saravia <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2009/8/19 Alexandre Oliva <address@hidden>:
>> On Aug 19, 2009, Diego Saravia <address@hidden> wrote:

>> The important question is whether a particular piece of data is
>> information for practical use.

> I do not agree with that concept

> For me is equal relevant non free software, than non free art

If you place requirements on art that are as stringent as those you
place on software, there's a chance we can reach an agreement.

But if you were to relax the requirements for them all, then agreement
would be difficult.

See, it's not that I think art should *not* respect the 4 freedoms, it's
that I haven't ever seen a justification, on ethical and moral grounds,
for the 4 freedoms applied to art, as I have for software and other
kinds of information for practical use.  The practical use is key for
the justifications I've seen to apply.

>> Yeah, it does.  It's unfortunate that the user isn't informed about it,
>> but it's not even close to actually demanding the user to install and
>> run non-Free Software.

> not? runing non free is less important to .... inform user that there
> is a way to run non-free?

Informing the user that there is a way to run non-Free, rather than
warning about the trap it sets, means regarding running non-Free as
something possibly good.

Informing the user in that way is very bad, whereas running non-Free is
only unfortunate.

>> presented to it for execution, specifically demands non-Free Software to
>> be installed.

> demands?

> not sugest?

The driver requests the file and refuses to do any useful work without
it.  That's a demand.

> thats worst than RUN non-free?????????

Yes, it is.

If installing and running non-Free Software is a decision the user has
already made, as long as the user doesn't recommend or induce anyone
else to do the same or further empowers the aggressor (network effects,
pay per use, etc), the user is the only victim of the continued use of
that piece of software.

However, if a piece of software induces the user to get a piece of
non-Free Software installed on the computer where it wasn't before, the
software is effectively inviting one more victim into the trap.