Re: [GNU-linux-libre] A call to free software, and its users

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] A call to free software, and its users
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 21:17:29 +0200

Karl Goetz schreef:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 00:44:27 +0200
Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:
 - its a problem because it encourages installing non-free software (an
example of this is suggesting installing adobe flash on flash based
websites).

This one.

So if we suggest these addons, by having that code included, then we
are saying to users that it's OK to install the addons. To discourage
this behaviour, the code that points to the addons is removed.

This implies to me that your against anything which can load add ons,
but that seems a bit odd.... am I miss-understanding you here?

Miss-understanding: one must consider which addons the code points to.

Perhaps it is better to lead by example than to
be tainted? At least we get to have a relevant conversation with
people.

I'm not sure what your saying here in relation to being tainted.

A non-FSF distro may be tainted, but FSF approved distros should be untainted.

We can all approach this as rational human beings supporting Free Software. [...] People have the freedom to do what they want, but
we hackers should never oppress our users!

It has seemed to me one of the problems in this discussion is where the
line is drawn between 'supplying free software' and 'oppress[ing] our
users'.

The two viewpoints I can discern from the discussion to date are:
'not found' warning), and means your supporting the oppression of users.
- refusing to load the firmware is oppressing users (whatever happens
with the 'not found' warning).

The intention of this mail was an effort to write from the perspective to promote the values that strict adherence to the four freedoms has been, the ultimate aim of what Builder and later the deblobbing script and now linux-libre set out to achieve (and is still working on to this day).