Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Incoming Distros at libreplanet

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Incoming Distros at libreplanet
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 20:56:34 GMT

No, FSF/GNU definitely do not (and can not) have the review process
covered.  This has been a problem since day one of the free distro list.

I, with my GNU hat on, am the person who added that text to the gnu.org
web site, after discussions with John Sullivan, and who sent Joshua et
al. here recently.

John had the idea that this group (g-l-l) already reviewed potential
free distros.  And there have certainly been replies here to potential
distros.  It seems now that no definite procedure has been established.
So let's establish one, ok?  Coordinating through the Incoming_distros
page seems as good as any, to me.

The idea of the text that is on gnu.org is basically not to advertise
this list terribly widely; we wouldn't want every user who thinks the
distro s/he uses is cool to write here in enthusiastic ignorance.  It
happens quite a bit.

Thus, the GNU webmasters can provide a basic level of filtering such
that (a) the distro authors/maintainers are actually interested in being
listed, and (b) the distro at least meets the most obvious criteria,
like having an explicit commitment to free software.  After the recent
mail, I also added another check for GNU webmasters to make -- that the
sources are readily available.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
kb