Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Sources

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Sources
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 21:04:39 +1030

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 12:31:20 +0200
Henry Jensen <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 22:24:41 +1300
> Bryan Baldwin <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Sources must only be provided in cases where the software is
> > actually distributed by the provider. For example, if you provide a
> > binary package, the source from which that package was made should
> > be made available.
>
> It sounds like splitting hairs, but would providing a link to the
> sources count as "making the sources available" or must the sources
> be actual hosted on the project's server?

What does your upstream software distribution licence say?

> After all, we are talking about several Gigabytes of "web space" that
> a project (in case of a full blown general purpose distro) must
> provide to host the sources - which are already available through
> their original sources and thus would be a redundant copy.

From /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2 (any Debian derivative will have
this).

 The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work
for making modifications to it.  For an executable work, complete source
code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any
associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to
control compilation and installation of the executable.

If upstreams source and yours match /exactly/ your statement might hold
true. if you package it in some form, you need to provide that somehow.
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au