Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Incoming Distros at libreplanet

From: Rubén Rodríguez
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Incoming Distros at libreplanet
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 14:56:29 +0200

> It seems now that no definite procedure has been
> established. So let's establish one, ok?  Coordinating through the
> Incoming_distros page seems as good as any, to me.

I think peer review is the best way to do -in this case, computational-
science. But some hackers accept better peer criticism than others, we
had some flames in the past to prove it. So I think a mix of peer
review and a bit of arbitrage from FSF would do.

> the distro at least meets the most obvious
> criteria, like having an explicit commitment to free software.  After
> the recent mail, I also added another check for GNU webmasters to
> make -- that the sources are readily available.

Not all criteria are equally obvious to everybody. I've always thought
that having full independent mirrors for all binary and source packages
is mandatory. I think it is in fact what makes a distribution: you
distribute things, not a third party.