Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO

From: Zlatan Todoric
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 18:22:19 +0100

On 11/09/2016 06:08 PM, Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic wrote:
On 09.11.2016 18:42, Zlatan Todoric wrote:
On 11/09/2016 05:24 PM, Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic wrote:
What browser the PureBrowser is based on? What add-on repository does it
use?
It is based on Firefox ESR and it will have two xul extension from
archive (https and ublock). We discovered bug (non-responsive tabs) so
we temporarily removed it from alpha 2 image but we put in firefox-esr
with those two extensions. It will come back with final release (where
we also hope to iron out all the bugs you find and report - again
https://tracker.puri.sm/maniphest/ for reporting bugs).

In future we plan to diverge a bit more from Firefox regarding defaults
(or they maybe choose to have same defaults so we abandon the
re-branding and avoid their trademark issues (not that it will happen,
but just for our sake)).
Please note that the Firefox official repository includes many nonfree
extensions. PureOS can't comply with the GNU FSDG if it's using Firefox
default repository. FSF and GNU IceCat maintain a list of free
extensions for Firefox-based browsers.

We are mirroring Debian main archive for that and AFAIK Firefox is entirely FLOSS, but it allows non-free extensions. It would be a bit radical to remove it because users can access non-free extensions - we can use lynx to access websites that promote nonfree things etc etc. I think many distros used Iceweasel and now will use Firefox if they are based on Debian - and again, Firefox is Free software AFAIK.

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/
http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/IceCat

In my opinion, PureOS should use GNU IceCat instead of Firefox and
support (with developers and donations) its development.

Moreover, last time I checked Firefox was by default DRM-enabled (by
using a nonfree add-on), and that is not acceptable.

I don't think it is enabled for Linux builds, but at least not for Debian ones.

It would be great if Purism could join the existing efforts instead of
only focusing on rebranding (sometimes without even crediting the
projects you are using) and marketing.

That, again, has nothing to do with our FSF endorsement and about our business - in this particular case we want to avoid any chance of Firefox trademark "war". Please keep it inside the limits of this discussion which is PureOS road to FSF endorsement.

Thanks,
Tiberiu

--
https://ceata.org