Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 20:11:59 +0200

On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 06:22:19PM +0100, Zlatan Todoric wrote:
> We are mirroring Debian main archive for that and AFAIK Firefox is entirely
> FLOSS, but it allows non-free extensions. It would be a bit radical to
> remove it because users can access non-free extensions - we can use lynx to
> access websites that promote nonfree things etc etc. I think many distros
> used Iceweasel and now will use Firefox if they are based on Debian - and
> again, Firefox is Free software AFAIK.

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#FLOSS

Quote:

The term “FLOSS,” meaning “Free/Libre and Open Source Software,” was
coined as a way to be neutral between free software and open
source. If neutrality is your goal, “FLOSS” is the best way to be
neutral. But if you want to show you stand for freedom, don't use a
neutral term.
---

It is not a question if Firefox is "entirely FLOSS", it is a question
if it is free software or not, which has different definition.

Free System Distribution Guideliness are guideliness not only for
software, rather for developers, for the group of people promoting
free software.

So, if you wish to comply to get endorsed, you need to make a
checklist on what to do in accordance with the guidelines:
https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html

And all I see is your ignorance, and rejection of the arguments. You
asked for comments, which comment did you accept with willingness to
improve?

I am not FSF representative.

Jean Louis