Re: two slur beginning on a same note

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: two slur beginning on a same note
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:30:50 +0100

> Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
>
> > there has been some discussion before, but basically a tie by
> > definition is on notes with the same pitch. Maybe we should introduce
> > phrasing marks (eg. with \( and \).  What do you think?)
>
> What do you mean with phrasing marks?
> If you mean "semi tie" then there is no need for two commands. How about
> \~ ?

No, many composers draw a slur over a complete phrase, I guess
that's what Han-Wen has in mind. David Arnold has written several
long emails on this list on all these different meanings of slurs.

Since phrase marking slurs can appear together with shorter slurs
for articulations (like the Satie example mentioned earlier), we
need support for nested slurs. I cannot see why we should introduce
another syntax for phrasing slurs, since they are typeset exactly
in the same way as any other slur. As a special case these nested
slurs could start or end at the same note.

When I tried nested slurs in Lilypond the other night, an
example like
c ( d ( e ) f ) g
produced the following kind of result

instead of the desired