Questions on _'s in lyrics (fwd)

From: Matt Hiller
Subject: Questions on _'s in lyrics (fwd)
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 21:42:21 -0800 (PST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 11:58:05 +1100 (EST)
From: address@hidden
To: denemo-devel <address@hidden>
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Questions on _'s in lyrics

Several weeks ago I sent an example of a lyric spacing problem when the
lyrics contain an underscore. I have looked at the code, and have a
much better understanding of what is going on, but would like to raise
several matters before I send a patch for the problem.

The documentation (and code) currently indicate that all _'s in
unquoted lyrics are converted to spaces.  Although I can live with
this, is there a good reason for this? I propose that if the _ is
proceeded by a \ that it then not be converted to a space. This change
would seem more natural to me and follow standard escape conventions.

The second matter is a proposed fix for spacing lyrics containing a \_.
In Box Font_metric::text_dimension any character sequence starting with
a \ up to either {, }, space, or the end of string is ignored in
computing the length of the string. If \_ counted the length of the
_ and subsequent characters, would there be any issues? Also should this
function include any other character proceeded by a \ in calculating
the length of the string.

Regards,
Roy Rankin