Re: [Denemo-devel] Questions on _'s in lyrics

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Questions on _'s in lyrics
Date: 06 Mar 2001 10:10:49 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> The documentation (and code) currently indicate that all _'s in
> unquoted lyrics are converted to spaces.  Although I can live with
> this, is there a good reason for this?

It is meant as a handy shorthand, you can type

   this_is_one_word8
   _4 _ _
   _ _ _

etc, which is more convenient and readable than

    "this is one word"8
    " "4 " " " "

Now that we have \addlyrics, maybe there would be less reason for the
latter.

> I propose that if the _ is proceeded by a \ that it then not be
> converted to a space. This change would seem more natural to me and
> follow standard escape conventions.

Except when the \ is preceeded by an even number of \

Anyway, suggestions for lily/lexer.ll:

        {LYRICS} {
                /* ugr. This sux. */
                String s (YYText ());