Re: Lyrics and Cosmetics

From: Timothy S. Nelson
Subject: Re: Lyrics and Cosmetics
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 13:02:00 +1100 (EST)

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

[snip]

        Doh!  Thanks, I feel kinda dumb now -- they were right in front of me
all the time.

> > 3.  In NotesClose.png, I'm sure you can see how close the notes are to the
> >     bar line.
>
> Which Lilypond version? I've got the impression this has improved
> fairly recently.

        Oops!  I forgot -- 1.3.141.

> > 4.  In TiesTouch.png, you can see the ties touching.  From observing a
> >     similar case in my Psalm Book (which is easy to read; I don't know
> >     whether it's right :) ), they have the ties a bit further out, and the
> >     top one ends above the second note, while the bottom one ends below
> >     the first.
>
> This is all customizable, but the default values should be set
> to provide a good result.

        Thanks, I'll customise them.  But I would suggest that the default be
set so that they don't touch, at least when there are multiple ties.

> > 5.  With the snapping slurs to stem ends, I find that the main time I am
> >     doing it is when I have eg. a8.( b16 )a4, or something similar, and it
> >     goes from the stem of the a8. to the head of the a4.  Additionally I'm
> >     pretty sure that all of the other cases where I did this, the slur
> >     went in the opposite direction to the notes (ie. c4( )f4, with the
> >     slur from the stem of the c to the head of the f).  Note the example I
> >     just gave is untested, but I find it disconcerting when the slur goes
> >     down, but the note goes up.  Anyway, if an exception or something were
> >     made for my first example, that would cover 90% of the cases and I
> >     would be happy.
>
> Same as for the previous item. Do you have any suggestion for
> changed default values or do you request some additional intelligence
> in Lilypond?

        I guess if the Big Names agree with me, I'd like a little extra
intelligence concerning either the "a8.( b16 )a4" example, or an option which
says "Slurs always have the same anchor point", by which I mean that if the
option is on, then (head . head) and (stem . stem) are allowed, but not
(stem . head), or vice versa.

        Thanks again :)

| Name: Tim Nelson                 | Because the Creator is,        |
| E-mail: address@hidden | I am                           |
Web: Temporarily unavailable