Re: Gnu-music-discuss digest, Vol 1 #247 - 8 msgs

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Gnu-music-discuss digest, Vol 1 #247 - 8 msgs
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 01:03:41 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> I would like to know the best way to go about this:  Please advise which
> approach has the best likelihood of success:
>
>    1)  Compose all the music in the concert pitch, and then come up
>        with wrapper .ly files that produce separate part (like my second
>        message), but in the separate part, transposing up the trumpet parts
>        by 2 half-steps, and the French horn part by a fifth, and doing no
>        transposition for the low brass (trombone and tuba)
>
>    2)  Compose each of the parts as it will appear on paper, and then
>        somehow get a program to transpose the 3 of out 5 parts back to
>        concert pitch for MIDI/playback purposes.
>
> I'd prefer the first method, because if I do the second method, I'll
> always be doing F and B-flat transpositions in my head.  While I can
> do it, it does offer plenty of opportunities for mistakes.

I don't understand the question. You can transpose both printed and
MIDI output with \transpose, and you can transpose the MIDI separately
using \property Staff.transposing. (see the reference manual.)

I would enter the music in the way that you read and process it;
that's the easiest thing for verifying what you've entered. Then you
can use \transpose to produce parts to your orchestra's liking. Using
the transposing property, you can get a MIDI file that sounds OK.

BTW, Real French Horn Players don't care wether it's in F or not, they
Just Transpose.

> A somewhat related sub-problem is that when I arrange stuff for my
> drum and bugle corp, the pitch is off by a fifth, because the horns
> are built in G (all four sizes).  So if I play a F major scale, it
> comes out as C concert.  G major is D concert, and C major comes out
> as G.   I would like to know how I can get the MIDI output to come
> out a fifth higher or fifth lower than what is written, because then
> it would match the bugle's tone.

again, this sounds as if Staff.transposing would solve your problems.

BTW, I don't know about denemo, and perhaps you get better answers if
you ask around on the denemo mailing list. See
http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=1952

Happy Easter!