Re: papersize

From: David Petrou
Subject: Re: papersize
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:55:03 -0400

> > However, if I just have `papersize = "letter"' at the top of my file,
> > running "ly2dvi -P" generated postscript using the following dvips
> > command:
> >
> >   %DVIPSCommandLine: dvips -o ly2dvi.out.ps ly2dvi.out.dvi
> >
> > Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
>
> Since papersize is a "paper variable", it has to be set within
> a \paper{...} section, for example at the top of the file:
> \paper{papersize="letter";}

Ok, that works great.  Maybe the documentation should be changed to
mention this.  Right now,

http://lilypond.org/development/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Paper-size.html

says to just have papersize = "foo" at the top-level.

> > On the same note, "-P" in 1.3.145 seems to behave differently than in
> > 1.3.124.  For some reason, ly2dvi -P now is calling metafont to
> > regenerate all the fonts on each invocation.  If I call dvips
> > manually, the fonts aren't regenerated each time.  Bug?  Or
> > misconfiguration on my part?
>
> It doesn't happen here! Check in the log printouts at which
> location the generated files are placed. It might give a clue.
> ly2dvi does set some environment variables to be on the safe
> side, but maybe it gives some undesired results for you.

I just installed 1.3.148.uu1 and this problem went away for me.  I
don't know if I did something wrong in 1.3.145, or what, but I
installed both the same way.

>    /Mats

thanks,
david