Re: Package format/management ramblingss

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Package format/management ramblingss
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:19:18 -0400

    For example, say we have a program foo that needs the gnu.xpm picture
    that is distributed in emacs.  This file would be the virtual file
    /share/emacs/etc/gnu.xpm.

Why would it be there?  I don't understand that part of your idea.
Why would Emacs put that particular file into /share/emacs
in any manner, even virtually?

Maybe you should describe your overall idea for /share/emacs
in a different way.

The images in Emacs are for Emacs alone to use, they are internal
files.  Right now Emacs puts them into a shared directory because
that's the only way for an installed Emacs to get at them, but that
isn't very clean.