Re: Package format/management ramblingss

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Package format/management ramblingss
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:23:20 -0400

    I suggested the translator would be on /usr, not on /, and /bin, /sbin,
    /hurd, etc. would be symlinks on /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/hurd, etc.

We would not want to put the translator on /usr or on /.
It should be specified for *specific* subdirectories.
This is necessary to provide some control over what's going on.

In the old days, there were reasons for /bin not to be
/usr/bin.  Sysadmins wanted to have a separate root
file system and /usr file system.  Nowadays there may
be no reason for this any more; I don't know.  I would
rather not make assumptions about this.

It will be easy to design the translator so that you can
set up the system either way.  You could put the translator
on /usr/bin with a parameter saying "present what belongs
in /bin", and make /bin a symlink to that.  Or you could
put the translator directly on /bin.

Since we don't need to choose at present which way to do it,
let's not discuss this particular question any further now.