Re: Savannah and GNU

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: Savannah and GNU
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:31:46 +0200

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 08:32:37AM +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    And the second problem that I saw on GNU is because GNU projects
>    aren't help each other. In some cases, there are two or more
>    projects doing the same thing, projects that use external resourses
>    when we have GNU projects that provides that resources (ex.:
>    Savannah uses cvs, when we have GNU Arch, CSSC and RCS, all of them
>    doing the same thing).
>
> It is simple to put this down in writting, but it is hard to make it
> practical sometimes.  Michael Flickinger was working on adding support
> for GNU Arch to Savannah, but he seems swamped with other stuff right
> now so that work is stalled for now.

I wrote a few explanations on what's slowing Savannah from adopting
Arch here (in the comments):
https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=3944

A more recent issue now is that Arch do not have a GNU maintainer
anymore [1]. Supporting Arch now more and more means supporting 'baz'
[2], which isn't GNU. For example Gna! replaced 'tla' by 'baz' in
their server, so that ArchZoom correctly displays categories if people
use 'baz' archives.

The reasons of this event is thouroughly discussed in gnu-arch-users,
so no need to repeat it here, but if the GNU branch is effectively
abandoned in favor of 'baz', that makes Arch lose the "GNU friendship
effect" in my mind.

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2005-08/msg00030.html
[2] http://bazaar.canonical.com

--