Re: Savannah and GNU

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Savannah and GNU
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:34:13 -0400

    The first problem that I saw on GNU is the decentralization of the GNU
    projects. I don't think that decentralization is bad in every case, but
    sometimes there is no logic on the decentralization of GNU development.
    I think that all GNU projects could be hosted on Savannah.

We let the package maintainer decide where to host it.

    And the second problem that I saw on GNU is because GNU projects aren't
    help each other. In some cases, there are two or more projects doing the
    same thing, projects that use external resourses when we have GNU
    projects that provides that resources (ex.: Savannah uses cvs, when we
    have GNU Arch, CSSC and RCS, all of them doing the same thing).

RCS is mostly obsolete now, and I don't think much work is being done
on it.  CSSC exists only to replace SCCS.  Arch and CVS work very
differently.