Re: address@hidden: Fink]

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Fink]
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:14:33 +0100

fink is basically apt-get with bells and whistles, but not that many
bells and whistles, most of the features that fink provides are also
provided by apt-get.

It seems that the major difference between apt-get and fink is that
fink automatically downloads the source and compiles it if no binary
package exists, this isn't done automatically by apt-get, but it is
possible (by passing the -b argument to apt-get).

The minor differences is that fink uses a different method of getting
the list of packages by using rsync, instead of getting a flat file
like apt-get.

Sadly, fink depends on the existance of `foo.info' files that describe
how to build the package, so this is a major drawback for pure source
packages.  But, since we have the GNU Build System we can ease things
for us, and use something like the GNU Source Installer.

That is what fink is, and frankley, I'm a bit disapointed... Thought
that it would be a bit more fun; maybe some really obvious feature was
missed, but all in all: fink is simply apt-get.