Re: address@hidden: Fink]

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Fink]
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 14:08:51 +0100

   Fink seems to provide a consistent command-line interface, whereas
   the regular Debian tools are scattered over several programs (dpkg,
   apt-get, apt-cache, dpkg-buildpackage etc.)

That is a nice description.

   > That is what fink is, and frankley, I'm a bit
   > disapointed... Thought that it would be a bit more fun; maybe
   > some really obvious feature was missed, but all in all: fink is
   > simply apt-get.

   If you want to check out the next generation, I suggest taking a
   look at conary[1], which blends rpm/apt and arch.  It got
   developped by some of the original RPM authors and looks quite
   promising, but I never evaluated it myself.

I atleast am more interested in finishing the package manager first
before worrying about fancy front-ends; might take a look at it at
some later point.

Thanks.