Re: Fwd: Status

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Fwd: Status
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 02:05:05 +0200 (CEST)

   > qemu requires X11, which my terminal isn't capable of running.

   Even with -nographic?

-nographic requires a serial line, at which you cannot see kernel
panic, and never really know if the system has crashed or not.

When the system has crashed, then you need to run fsck.  This cannot
be done on a file-system image since qemu requires a whole disk image,
and not a single partition image.

This also requires lots of diskspace, which I do not have on the
machines that I use (aprox, 2gig for the image, 2gig for the source
tree, and a couple more gigs for the object files).

One can also use a real drive, but this requires root access or
complete read/write access to a device.  Or a system specially setup
so that normal users can use loopback devices on GNU/Linux.

All of this also requires a single system for it to be of any real
use.

It is simply better not to ask about the weirdness I have to live
with...