Re: A GNU Distribution

From: Claudio Fontana
Subject: Re: A GNU Distribution
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 10:22:13 +0200

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 5:07 AM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>    It needn't be hard. Indeed, I'm sure that the installer/package
> manager/whatever
>    could be made to handle dependencies. Source-based doesn't *have* to mean
>    manually compiling everything yourself.
>
> I won't say that can be so, but I don't understand it concretely.
> What would "source-based" mean, here, if it doesn't mean
> "You compile everything yourself"?

As I understand it, the packages would contain both the binaries
(already built, no need for the user to compile anything herself) and
the _corresponding_ source code. Not just making the source available
somehow, somewhere, or through the explicit configuration and download
of separate packages, but making it an integral part of the system.

Is that what you meant Daniel?

Ciao,

Claudio