Re: A GNU Distribution

From: Christophe Poncy
Subject: Re: A GNU Distribution
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 06:57:43 +0200

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 19:50:36 -0700, Dave Crossland wrote:

[...]
As others have mentioned, there are unofficial distributions of GNU
that started with Gentoo that use the 'portage' package management
system that also makes it easy to install source code in a predictable
location, modify the code, recompile and install the new package;
additionally, it makes it easy to systematize that process so that eg
a single Emacs package can be compiled to integrate tightly with
(only) the other packages installed on the local machine.

[...]

So, while I have a neutral opinion about the GNU project making an
official GNU distribution, I personally can think of no reason that a
new package management system would be useful to develop :-)

If I understood correctly, Daniel Robbins is currently writing a new version of portage. My feeling is that we need experienced hackers on this project. And another way to launch such a project could be to use an existing distro. Nobody asked for that, but my dream is to initiate a dialogue between Daniel and RMS. I cross-posted this on their mailing list in the aim to know if they are interested, if they are willing to replace the Linux kernel by Linux-libre (and create another branch for the Hurd?); just a note to say that it's so easy to confugure this system to accept only free software... So, daniel, if you are reading this post, please, come and share your thought here ;)