Re: A GNU Distribution

From: Claudio Fontana
Subject: Re: A GNU Distribution
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 11:09:04 +0200

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>    In regards to that, though, GNU already has GSRC, which is based on GAR
>    (another Ports-like system) and puts to use other GNU software such as
>    Make, wget and Bazaar. That, coupled with Stow and a Bash script binding
>    all that functionality together (or a basic GTK interface to do it),
>    means that GNU already effectively has a system like Portage without
>    having to write anything more than maybe a bit of glue code or a GUI.
>
> That is good news.  (So we don't need to think about Daniel Robbins.)
>
> Is anyone interested in working on the interface to do this?

With regards to the GUI, I did something of partly overlapping scope
in the past with the sourceinstall project;

http://www.gnu.org/software/sourceinstall/

However, if someone is better at GUI patterns like MVC and such
things, I will not mind stepping aside, I am aware that there are many
better GUI designers than me. Also, I have only been exposed to
GTK+-2, I never tried GTK+-3.

I understand that what is needed needs to be more scriptable, and in that sense,
maybe a bash glue should be built first (by someone who understands
the underlying tools better),
and then I could rewrite/reuse/repurpose the GTK GUI to work on top of
either that glue script
or be an alternative, graphical implementation of the glue script.

So if you have something concrete below to rely on, I can do the more
or less "dumb" GUI work.

Ciao,

Claudio