Re: Update on distro bootstrapping with Guix

From: Quiliro Ordóñez
Subject: Re: Update on distro bootstrapping with Guix
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 06:42:55 -0500

El 08/10/12 06:24, Ludovic Courtès escribió:

My goal is to eventually submit Guix and the Guix-based distro as
GNU projects, with the hope that we can build a GNU distribution that is
100% free software and technically more attractive than the alternatives.
This is very interesting. Sustainability?
If your question is “will it succeed?”, then I cannot answer it.  It’s
the usual chicken-and-egg problem.

No. My question regards plans to make it continue over time. Is there a plan to motivate?:
  • contributions from developers
  • financing ofinfrastructure and other expenditures
  • user base and support

Your ideas are great and I like that you want it  to be an FSF aproved distro. This is the intentions of many devs but it usually is very complicated to finantianly and community-wise sustain those projects. It is essential to have a plan. It may succeed or not but if we have a plan, it has better chances. I would like to know this before I commit myself to call for IT student participation on this project rather than other projects that are as promising as yours.

--
Saludos libres,

Quiliro Ordóñez
Presidente
Asociación de Software Libre del Ecuador - ASLE
Av de la Prensa N58-219 y Cristóbal Vaca de Castro
Quito, Ecuador
(593)2-253 5534
(593)2-259 5632
(593)8-454 8078