Democratic Leadership (was: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU

From: Olaf Buddenhagen
Subject: Democratic Leadership (was: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?)
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 00:51:38 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 11:17:59AM +0100, Garreau, Alexandre wrote:

> The GNU system is aimed to free users. And in my humble opinion it
> could better than other systems (the only really democratically
> developped, development-diffused and upstream distro today is Debian,
> and ???as Mozilla Firefox??? it???s not always making the best
> choices: see GNOME3, systemd???).

This is rather off-topic; but as it's such a common misconception, I'd
like to point out that democracy is only important for your freedom in
domains where everyone *has* to live with the government's decisions.

In the Free Software world on the other hand, it is generally quite
feasible simply to move elsewhere if you don't like some project's
decisions -- so there is no need for you to have an obligatory say in
any particular project.

Also note that Debian is not actually democratic in any meaningful way:
voting is limited to the select group of Debian Developers; while the
vast majority of people affected by the project's decisions -- namely
the "mere" users -- do not have any say.

-antrik-