Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?

From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
Subject: Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 10:01:00 -0200

Em Tue, 2 Dec 2014 00:13:09 +0100
Olaf Buddenhagen <address@hidden> escreveu:

> > > This goes back to my point that the problem with calling something
> > > "The GNU System" is that it implies that there is a single,
> > > specific set of software that defines the system.
> >
> > It would only imply that if we intended it to mean so.
>
> But that's not how it works...
>
> When you say "*this* is GNU", you always carry the implication that
> "everything else is not GNU".

And that's true in the sense that everything else are not
distributions developed by the GNU project.  It seems to me you're
conflating the issues as if saying that a distribution is developed by
the GNU project would imply that no other system is a GNU-variant.

> You might say that this is not what you mean -- but it is how people
> will read it.

I don't think people would read it that way, because they would be
mistakenly drawing a technical conclusion from a factual political
distinction.  The whole purpose is to differentiate what's GNU (coming
from the GNU project) from what's not so we can promote the GNU
project and the GNU system the best.

--
 ,= ,-_-. =.  Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
((_/)o o(\_)) There is no system but GNU;

[GNU DISCLAIMER] I'm a GNU hacker, but my views don't necessarily
match those of the GNU project.  Hereby I express my own opinion,
style and perception, in good faith, aiming the betterment of GNU.