Re: Democratic Leadership (was: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: Democratic Leadership (was: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?)
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 10:34:10 -0800 (PST)

Andreas Enge said:
> So software freedom might not need democratic structures to survive,
> but I believe that the GNU project does.

The GNU Project's been doing quite well for 30 years, thanks. :)

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> And yet, despite the goal of a 100% free softawre system, Debian is
> happy to recommend non-free software to its users.

Yes, because they decided to elect their Social Contract which made
that okay. ("Sure it's proprietary and sure we distribute it and even
hack on it from time to time but look - it's a separate thing from the
distro so the Project doing those things is okay.") Developing and
distributing proprietary software is always wrong no matter how the
decision was arrived or how it's couched and this helps to show that
these types of community processes don't always result in the right
answer, especially when made with people that don't share the game
goals. Not everyone working on the Debian Project sees proprietary
software as something ethically wrong that needs to be rejected. I'd
be concerned over similar things happening with GNU and I trust RMS to
never sway on this point.