Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?

From: Felipe López
Subject: Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 14:40:41 -0500

>From the current answers to this discussion, I think I have enough
material to answer my original questions. [1]

In the GNU Project, people sympathize with one of two opposing views:

1. If the GNU Project releases its own distribution called "GNU" or
   "The GNU System", certain group of people would take it as if the
   GNU Project were "claiming exclusiveness or superiority over other
   GNU variants".
2. The GNU Project should release its own distribution called "GNU"
   or "The GNU System". The GNU Project was launched to develop the
   GNU system, so delivering the system is something expected and
   beneficial for end-users.

The Guix team—which sympathizes with the second view—cannot name their
distribution "The GNU System" because the use of the name "The GNU
System" is decided by Richard Stallman, who is the chief/owner of the
GNU Project. And Richard Stallman sympathizes with the first view.

Even if there were a majority of people in the GNU Project who agree
with the second view, the GNU Project is not a democracy and Richard
Stallman has the last word in issues like the one presented in this topic.

I have to say that I'm sad to hear that RMS doesn't agree with the
second view above, because I think that going that way would make the
system and the ideas around the project more visible and accessible to
potential users.

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts.

[1]
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-system-discuss/2014-11/msg00002.html

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/

ID Klefo PGP  : 0x8A296B99
Marko fingrala: 7ED8 4963 C881 647C 9DA0 FDE6 881B 91ED 8A29 6B99