Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?

From: Olaf Buddenhagen
Subject: Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 03:11:08 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 02, 2014 at 10:01:00AM -0200, Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro wrote:
> Olaf Buddenhagen <address@hidden> escreveu:

> > When you say "*this* is GNU", you always carry the implication that
> > "everything else is not GNU".
>
> And that's true in the sense that everything else are not
> distributions developed by the GNU project.  It seems to me you're
> conflating the issues as if saying that a distribution is developed by
> the GNU project would imply that no other system is a GNU-variant.

I'm not conflating anything -- I'm merely pointing out that the vast
majority of people out there won't be making the fine distinctions you
are claiming.

Let's take a step back: for the past 15 years or so, the GNU project has
been promoting the view that most of the Linux-based systems out there
put together by various people and using most of GNU, are essentially
GNU systems. If the GNU project decides to release something called "The
GNU System" or just "GNU" now, what most people will hear is: "Actually,
we have been kidding: all this time, there really was no GNU system --
but now there is!"

-antrik-