Re: What to call Guix

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: What to call Guix
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 04:29:04 -0500

   I am thinking about the idea of calling Guix "the reference distribution"
   of GNU.  That term seems inappropriate in two ways:

   * It comes from "reference implementation", which means an
   implementation intended mainly to be studied when making other
   implementations, rather than for real use.  Guix is not meant
   only to be studied.

   * It suggests something that is basic and not at all fancy, whereas
   Guix is an innovative experimental approach.

   This leads me to think of calling it an "avant-garde distribution".
   Perhaps "The GNU Project's avant-garde distribution of GNU/Linux".

   This also avoids the undesirable effect of suggesting that other
   free distros are rejected.

   What do people think?

How about just, "the GNU project's distribution of GNU/Linux"?  This
too has the same effect, and also that it isn't "the" GNU system.

I agree with Brandon that "avant-garde" is something that would be
used in passing.