Re: What to call Guix

From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
Subject: Re: What to call Guix
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 16:32:02 -0200

Em Wed, 17 Dec 2014 10:45:08 -0500
Richard Stallman <address@hidden> escreveu:

> We could also call the distro "experimental".

Personally I think "advanced" or "experimental" are not fair
descriptions of the distribution in its completeness.  Those
descriptions could not even be true to the facts depending on how you
look at them. Thus, they could make people get the wrong impression
because of their inherent subjective status.

> I am looking for a characteristic to distinguish it from the other
> free distros.

The only absolute characteristic I can see that differs it from all the
other distros in any imaginable situation is the fact that it's the GNU
project's own; GNU's GNU, so to speak.  I assert that in the free
software world no technical distinction could lead us to uniqueness in
definition --- not even GNU Guix nor GNU dmd.  Only political
distinctions can possibly do that.

--
 ,= ,-_-. =.  Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
((_/)o o(\_)) There is no system but GNU;

[GNU DISCLAIMER] I'm a GNU hacker, but my views don't necessarily
match those of the GNU project.  Hereby I express my own opinion,
style and perception, in good faith, aiming the betterment of GNU.