Re: What to call Guix

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: What to call Guix
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 09:52:35 +0100

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> skribis:

>   > "Avant-garde" strikes me as something one might use to describe Guix in
>   > passing but not as something that would use as part of its
>   > formal/official designation.  I also associate it more with art than
>   > technology.
>
> How about "advanced"?

I think both proposals as well as Karl’s are fine to describe what the
distro is.

However, the original need we have is for a name that can be used to
designate the distro in technical documents and discussions, and long
periphrases do not help with that.

We could call it Guix, but that’s ambiguous: in the manual and in
discussions, we often need to be able to distinguish between
Guix-the-package-manager used atop some other distro, and
Guix-the-standalone-distro.

A list of short names has been collected at
<https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/Suggested_Distro_Names> in the
event “GNU” could not be used.

Thanks,
Ludo’.