Re: What to call Guix

From: Joshua S. Grant
Subject: Re: What to call Guix
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 05:19:54 -0600

> We cannot give it a name like that.  To call a distro "the GNU system
> distribution" would come across as a rejection of gNewSense, Trisquel,
> etc.  Those distros are important contributions to our community, and
> promoting them is an important goal for the GNU Project.

> Therefore, my decision is that the GNU Project will not name a distro
> by a name that appears to say it is above all other distros in
> importance to us.  I'm also the judge of whether any name has that
> problem.

> Please propose names that would clearly and definitely avoid this
> problem.  I liked Guixotic because it avoids this problem.
> There are other ways to avoid it, perhaps not as clever and funny
> as Guixotic but they'd be acceptable.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this list, but late last year I was
assigned the task of gathering the brunt of these suggestions @
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/Suggested_Distro_Names

Curious to what your feelings would be on some of these that haven't
been talked about much if at all and/or if any of these would make
decent alternatives for "Guixotic'.

Regards.