Re: [open-cobol-list] Postgres

From: John Culleton
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Postgres
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:39:10 -0400

On Sunday 09 August 2009 10:33:02 pm emre wrote:
> emre wrote:
> > John Culleton wrote:
> >> In your applications, what does Postgres do for you that
> >> Indexed sequential with multiple keys won't?  Ad Hoc reporting
> >> is an advantage but if that is the application I would use the
> >> SQL based database stand-alone without COBOL.
> >
> > You are correct, I don't really _need_ to go to an SQL. What I
> > am really looking
> > for is an easy way to get ODBC. Thinking about this further,
> > the extra SQL layer
> > will probably slow things down unacceptably.
>
> So what I really want to do is to be able to periodically
> synchronize some fields in
> one COBOL table with an SQL table. I could probably do this
> externally in perl
> or else use something like libdbi to do it in COBOL. Then, I can
> use an SQL (such as
> postgres or mySQL) which has an existing ODBC server.
>
> Emre.

COBOL can create a comma separated list of field values, with tags
if necessary.  These can in turn be fed to an SQL program as
updates to fields. I did something like this many moons ago with C
as the intermediary and a mini-sql system invented by Mary Bochane
called MDBMS.

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95