Re: [open-cobol-list] This Mailing List daemon problems

From: Kevin Monceaux
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 14:46:13 -0500

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 10:30:56AM -0600, Duke Normandin wrote:

> That works -- I also send them to the bit-bucket. Point is, the
> list-server is mal-functioning, so the list-owner should fix
> it. Imagine the bandwidth that this glitch is using up? Not cool...

No, the list-server is working perfectly.  This happens on numerous
mailing lists I'm on from time to time.  It's the mail server at
ares.orfei.org that's misbehaving.  Mail servers are **supposed** to
send such bounce messages to the address in the Return-Path header.
Messages from this contain the following header:

Some mail servers, such as the one at ares.orfei.org, ignore that
header and send bounce messages to the person who actually send the
e-mail to the list.  The only thing the list-owner could do is report
the problem to the postmaster at ares.orfei.org and/or unsubscribe
opencobol at ares.orfei.org from the list.

--

Kevin