gnue

Re: HR Package Proposal

From: Kevin Handy
Subject: Re: HR Package Proposal
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 15:41:37 -0700

Neil Tiffin wrote:

> Hello all
>
> We have a new proposal from Mark Smith posted at:
>
> http://www.gnuenterprise.org/~neilt/GNUe_HR_Package.txt
>
> This is just the beginning and Mark is anxious to hear your comments.
> Mark, I took out some of the boiler plate to make it easier to review.

A couple of quick notes:

You have an assorted number of dates in the employee definition
file, trying to cover several bases. But you probably miss a lot
of them that some people will need.  What might be nicer is to
have a date history file containing fields like

        code - What the date represents
        date - the date the event occurred
        description - any additional descriptive text needed.

The file would be cululative (rows are added, not changed, when
anything changes).  If something repeats, like issuing id cards,
you can track all of the id cards the employee has received.

This could cover the following fields you list

        date_of_starting
        date_of_leaving
        date_of_retirement
        date_of_death
        id_card_issue_date
        medical_check_date
        work_permit_expiry_date

and if you use the description field, could also cover

        reason for leaving code
        medical check completed code
        police check completed code (you left out a date for this code)

and you could probably lose the

        previous service

because you could look at the history in this file to ascertain that
information.  Training history could also be included in this table,
so you could look at the employees entire history through this one
table.

Also you have an emergency contact table, but you should make it
somewhat more general, as just a contact table.  Use something like

        code - Type of contact
        description - any description needed
        contact - phone number, email, etc.

Don't limit it to phone numbers either. You'll want to be able to track
email addresses, and web site address, too. There may also be other
references in the future (teleport address?) that need to be recorded.