gnue

Re: HR Package Proposal

From: Derek A. Neighbors
Subject: Re: HR Package Proposal
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 19:43:53 -0700

A couple of quick notes:

You have an assorted number of dates in the employee definition
file, trying to cover several bases. But you probably miss a lot
of them that some people will need.  What might be nicer is to
have a date history file containing fields like

code - What the date represents
date - the date the event occurred
description - any additional descriptive text needed.

Sounds a good idea, if it helps standardise date fields; and I'm sure you're
right about there being plenty more dates to come. Providing histories would
also be a big advantage.
My only concern would be if it made user queries more difficult to write:
could we avoid making people think 'give me everyone with date code nn date
before 1970', when what they mean is 'give me everyone with date_of_birth
before 1970'?

I dont know if I agree with this. The idea behind GNUe is that its EASILY extensible, this type of schema reminds me of unflexible code that puts things in slush tables so its 'easy' to add new data collection items.

The problem is that generally the input for them looks like crap and are in odd places and reporting against them are pure hell. I have done this in the past on many applications and one reason I started work in GNUe as it offerred a chance to rethink these kind of things.

Also you have an emergency contact table, but you should make it
somewhat more general, as just a contact table.  Use something like

code - Type of contact
description - any description needed
contact - phone number, email, etc.

Don't limit it to phone numbers either. You'll want to be able to track
email addresses, and web site address, too. There may also be other
references in the future (teleport address?) that need to be recorded.

I think we have person classes in the base and I would suspect we woudl use those for emergency contacts, so they become 'full contact' records in their own right if need be.

-Derek