gnue

GNUe Santaprise

From: Peter Sullivan
Subject: GNUe Santaprise
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 18:52:12 +0000

I noticed on IRC Jason semi-seriously suggesting a "GNU
Santaprise" for next Christmas, as a working demo-cum-
publicity thing. This set me thinking...

To: address@hidden
From: address@hidden
Date: 24th December 2004

Apologies for bothering you at what must be one of your
busiest times of year, but I wanted to confirm the changes
being proposed to the template for Customer Relationship
Management for your GNU Enterprise implementation, which
I have agreed by phone with your internal project manager,
Mr. R. theRedNosedReindeer.

Firstly, we will remove all references to "Customer,"
and replace with "Child." (This means we can still refer
to the package as CRM, to minimise confusion.)
We will also disable all functionality relating to payment,
sales invoices and credit control, and remove these fields
from the Forms definitions.

We will add a field to the Customer/Child Class Definition
for Child.Naughty_or_Nice. I know Mr. theRedNosedReindeer wanted
to store this as a text string, but I feel it would be better
to store this as a Boolean value. Given the number of
records you need to maintain in the database, I think storage
space is likely to be at a premium, even if you do press any
spare Sony P/S 4 Playstations into service as spares for the
Beowulf cluster.

Finally, as I explained, under the GPL, you are perfectly
at liberty to keep the changes we are making for you on a paid
consultancy basis private. However, I would urge you to let me
release the code changes under the GPL and make them available to
James Thompson of the GNUe project for his Bespoke Modules Library.
I appreciate that your business is unique, and that there is
therefore unlikely to be any practical benefit in releasing the code
back to the community. However, it would be an important symbolic
gesture for santa.org as the world's leading "free as in beer"
organisation to be seen to be supporting "free as in speech"
software. Let me know what you think.

--
A. Consultant

P.S. My daughter asked me to specifically mention that she
wanted the red My Little CyberPony, not the pink one. Can I
assume you will be able to action this based on this e-mail,
or should I raise it as a work order on DCL?
--
Peter Sullivan