Re: [gnugo-devel] Opponent not passing

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Opponent not passing
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 02:29:34 +0100 (CET)

> > Certainly the choice of move that is generated by owl_prevent_threat
> > has to be improved as well, see 13x13:73 for a very good example, where
> > GNU Go originally played N12. (Note that this would be a situation where
> > --owl-threats could really be useful.)
>
> Any ideas for improving the move found?

A vague idea, yes. What is usually most urgent with regards to dead dragons
is to make safe connections on the outside, so that it cannot break through.
So whenever a dead opponent dragon with aji has more than one neighbor of
our color, we should try to find connecting moves between these.

Weak connection (which I would define as "can be cut, but only at the
cost of creating a new dragon") should be looked for, too.

On a similar note, possible cuts between hostile neighbors should probably
give some small safety bonus for weak dragons. That may be implemented
once someone writes a better strategic effect evaluation.

Arend