Re: [gnugo-devel] Opponent not passing

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Opponent not passing
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 13:23:59 -0800

> I still think this is a good idea, in the following very restricted
> scenarios:
>  1) we're way ahead (say 50 pts. or so)
>  2) opponents last move was not a pass.
>  3) we've already passed a few times recently.

In this case, GNU Go will believe all liberties have been
filled, so the opponent's last move either fills his own
territory, in which case it is definitely safe to continue
passing, or it adds a stone to a dead dragon. In the latter
case, to generate a move, change the status of the dragon
to ALIVE then generate a move. This should produce an
endgame move blocking off territory, hence tending to
surround the dragon that's trying to come back to life.

> I am all in favor of not using the opponent's last move as a basis
> for evaluation, though it is certainly tempting (for example, in
> running owl-threats only against dragons near the last stone played).
> I find GNU Go's endgame very refreshing, as it tenuki's quite freely
> and often appropriately, a typical weakness of even much stronger
> human players.

I see nothing wrong with taking it into account if the
opponent just added a stone to a dead dragon, particularly
if we are ahead.