Re: [gnugo-devel] Current CVS VC build crashes

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Current CVS VC build crashes
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 00:28:02 +0100 (CET)

Trevor wrote:

> The current CVS crashes during the regression runs at different
> locations in the strategy.tst test suite.  It only occurs
> when running it via the regress.pl program, which inserts
> a bunch of (supposedly) innocuous GTP commands.  It may only
> happen in Release builds, and not Debug.

Glancing through the patches listed at the web-site, it seems rather
unlikely that any other patches than the ones submitted by me could have
caused this crash. Given that you probably ran it with standard influence,
it should be in arend_1_26.[35].

However, I cannot run regress.pl here to see whether that is only a VC
build problem. There seem to be a number of perl compatibility problems.
Has anyone successfully run regress.pl on a UNIX-like environment?

My Go club has its annual tournament this weekend, so I am afraid I will
not be able to look at this again from tomorrow to sunday night.

Arend

P.S.:
Just for reference, problems having occurred so far are:

 - "use warnings" doesn't work:
Can't locate warnings.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i586-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i586-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 .)
at ./regress.pl line 47.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./regress.pl line 47.

I uncommented this line.

 - mkdir needs second umask-type argument ( "mkdir html,022" )
 - after fixing this, I get

Global symbol "$curdir" requires explicit package name at ./regress.pl line 855.
Global symbol "$curfile" requires explicit package name at ./regress.pl line
856.
Global symbol "$CURDIR" requires explicit package name at ./regress.pl line 857.
Execution of ./regress.pl aborted due to compilation errors.

 - after uncommenting these lines and the block following them, I get:

regress.pl --goprog '../interface/gnugo --mode gtp --quiet' \
  strategy.tst --verbose 2
Go program: ../interface/gnugo --mode gtp --quiet
goprog pid: 1456
CMD:name
CMD:version
Name: GNU Go 3.1.25
regressing file strategy.tst
strategy.tst
goprog pid: 1457
CMD:reset_life_node_counter
CMD:reset_owl_node_counter
CMD:reset_reading_node_counter
CMD:reset_trymove_counter
Can't use an undefined value as a symbol reference at ./regress.pl line 347,
<GEN7> chunk 8.

I have never used perl before, so I am not sure I will be able to repair
this in a reasonable amount of time.
My perl version is:

/usr/bin/perl --version:

This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for i586-linux