Re: [gnugo-devel] Recent games

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Recent games
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 20:19:52 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Daniel Bump wrote:
> Arend wrote:
>
> > I am still dissatisfied with the influence behaviour in the fuseki,
> > especially with regards to contact fights. Hanes, connections in reply to
> > peeps (both on iken tobis or keimas), shutting in and breaking through are
> > all drastically undervalued. This asks for trouble often.
>
> Your patch seems to help a lot but not completely fix the problem.
> In nngs:900, the value of Q7 is reduced from 48.5 to 38.3.

I'd classify nngs:900 as an overvaluation of Q7, not undervaluation of
Q15. If run with --owl-threats, Q15 is valued with 30 pts. That seems
reasonable to me.
Q2 at move 25 in game
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~gunnar/gnugo/nngs/games/gnugo-3.1.28-merlin-200203251850.sgf
is a better example of what I had in mind with the above remark, also nngs1:35.

> Gunnar and I are talking about doing the 3.1.29 release soon, maybe
> tomorrow or Wednesday. Anyone who wants to put a patch in 3.1.29
> should let us know.
I am testing a tuning patch at the moment. It might be done tomorrow
morning (I am running regressions at the moment), but of course you never
know in advance :-)

> > i think we should welcome provocative views. ideas which do not
> > conform to the general party line could very well be the right direction.
> > so zergling please continue to critisize !
I am all in favor of _helpful_ critic. E.g. Bernard Helmstetter's 4stone
games on 9x9 might actually give us good hints how to improve the "thrashing
dragon" mode.

Arend