Re: [gnugo-devel] Recent games

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Recent games
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 15:12:49 +0100 (CET)

> > Anyway, many of these are games where GNU Go loses groups, starting
> > to develop them then abandoning them. They probably merit study, for
> > often GNU Go gets into difficulty without obvious tuning points
> > along the way.
>
> Yes, this is one of the most important problems right now.

If abandoning a group is done by a move that creates a new group, in the
opponent's sphere of influence, then this is an experimental influence
fault. I am now back from traveling, and I also have rough idea how to
resolve this problem. (I will try to filter out such "invasion" moves with
a few heuristics, and assign them a negative strategical value in
value_moves. That value will depend on our and opponent's influence at the
point where we want to play. Any suggestions welcome.)

This patch might take a few days, as it obviously needs quite some tuning.

Arend