[gnugo-devel] Threads

From: Heikki Levanto
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Threads
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 17:39:03 +0100

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 09:56:05PM +0000, Andrew Derrick Balsa wrote:
> However, GNU Go is much more complicated and much larger than Randyplus.
> Adding threads would be a non-trivial task. It may be worth it, though.

I think this sounds backwards. Using threads is a solution. Unless someone
clearly explains me the problem we are trying to solve with threads, I see
no reason to add them "just in case" they "may be worth it".

Threads are known be tricky to get right, and to introduce bugs that are
hard to reproduce and fix. Of course we could do that, but I feel that the
time would be more profitably used for other improvements in the engine.
Of course, if someone comes with a useful-sounding patch, who am I to
complain...

-H

--
Heikki Levanto  LSD - Levanto Software Development   <address@hidden>