Re: [gnugo-devel] Threads

From: Trevor Morris
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Threads
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 11:55:15 -0500

At 05:39 PM 11/7/2002 +0100, Heikki Levanto wrote:
>On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 09:56:05PM +0000, Andrew Derrick Balsa wrote:
>> However, GNU Go is much more complicated and much larger than Randyplus.
>> Adding threads would be a non-trivial task. It may be worth it, though.
>
>I think this sounds backwards. Using threads is a solution. Unless someone
>clearly explains me the problem we are trying to solve with threads, I see
>no reason to add them "just in case" they "may be worth it".

There are two ideas that prompted me to pose the question:
 1) Dan's experiments w/ spawning other GNU Go processes.  Perhaps this
work could also be done by a thread.

 2) Thinking on opponent's time.  It would be awfully nice to be able to have
GNU Go filling its cache and pondering the opponent's possbile next move
while waiting for it.  Seems like this would give an improvement in playing
speed of less than 2x, but perhaps 1.5x or so.

-Trevor