Re: [gnugo-devel] GNU Go as an oracle

From: Trevor Morris
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] GNU Go as an oracle
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 14:39:44 -0500

>The biggest obstacle is speed. The schemes I have in mind would be
>too slow currently and also require multiple GNU Go processes
>communicating by unix pipes so there will be portability
>problems. So when this stuff is ready to go into the engine it will
>have to be a configure option turned off by default.

Is there a standard cross-platform way of:
 - starting threads in the same process (rather than forking a new one)?

It seems a worthwhile endeavor to make GNU Go have more than one
process thread.  For example, while waiting for a GTP command, work
on evaluating the next move, or at least pre-populate the reading cache
(i.e. think on opponent's time).

A simpler thing that would be nice to have is a configure option for "inline".

-Trevor