Re: [gnugo-devel] gnugo --level

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] gnugo --level
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:55:07 -0800

> Hi,
>
> first I want to thank you for writing such a great go-playing computer
> program and piece of free software!
>
> I have a question according to the --level option of GnuGo. Is there an upper
> limit of this option? I recently noticed, that by increasing the level to
> e.g. 15, GnuGo seems to reads deeper and of course is slower, than at default
> level 10. I bought myself a new computer, and therefor I would like to know
> how I can increase the strength of the software!
>
> Regards,
> Harald Katzer

GNU Go is tuned to play best at level 10. At higher levels, it
is not certain that it will play any better, only slower. Two
years ago, around the time of the 3.0 release, we did some
testing and found no improvement at levels above 10. Of course
the program has changed since then, but I recommend using level 10.

One thing that may make it stronger is to compile it with
experimental semeai. That is,

'configure --enable-experimental-semeai; make'

may make an engine that plays better during complicated
fighting, though it will also make the engine slower.

Daniel Bump