Re: [gnugo-devel] using MPI for gnugo.

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] using MPI for gnugo.
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 07:40:24 -0800

> The question is:
> Is it planned to use distributed parallel computing for building world-wide
> AI to beat strongest human player?

An immediate problem is that the GNU Go codebase is
not well adapted to parallel processing. SlugGo is
an experiment in using GNU Go in a parallel way
but in order to do this right I think one would
need to deeply hack the engine.

This thread is possibly relevant:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnugo-devel/2005-04/msg00041.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnugo-devel/2005-04/msg00080.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnugo-devel/2005-04/msg00101.html

To summarize, in 2005 Paul Pogonyshev checked in changes into
the CVS changing the architecture to use multiple boards.

The idea died because the performance hit was too high.

You can get this branch from the GIT repository where it is
called multi-board. It is a fork of GNU Go 3.7.3. If
you clone the repository at git://git.savannah.gnu.org/gnugo.git
you can check out the remote branch origin/multi-branch and
rename it to a local branch with the command:

git checkout -b multi-board origin/multi-board

> I would like to help the GnuGo project, because i like GNU
> and Go.

If you contribute to GNU Go we request that you assign
copyright to the Free Software Foundation. In any case
you are welcome to discuss your ideas on the gnugo-devel
list, which you can subscribe to from: