Re: [gnugo-devel] using MPI for gnugo.

From: Darren Cook
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] using MPI for gnugo.
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 08:54:52 +0900

>> From the point of view of general computer go improvements, in other
>> words, someone, anyone, making a really strong computer go program, the
>> fact that GnuGo is a traditional style go program has kept the MCTS
>> programs honest.
>
> What do you mean?

Without GnuGo, places like CGOS would have been little more than an
exercise in self-play; they would have been over-optimizing to beat
other MCTS programs at the expense of the quality of their play against
humans.

Your suggestion of using monte carlo in local searches, or to estimate
group strength, instead of just "boring, old" global MCTS searches, is
interesting (to me), as it keeps GnuGo having a different style of play
from the rest of the field.

Darren

http://dcook.org/mlsn/ (English-Japanese-German-Chinese-Arabic
                        open source dictionary/semantic network)