Re: Affero GPL vs others licenses

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Affero GPL vs others licenses
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:15:30 +0100

Hi MJ,

Now, I understand your position, and I agree with you. Affero GPL is not
perfect but can serve us temporally.

MJ Ray wrote:
> Davi Leal wrote:
> > All depends on what you want. Personally, I know what I want. What do you
> > want MJ?.
>
> A free software business association that uses unambiguously free
> software.  GPL v3 and all will be well, I expect.

I hope so too. We could move to MIT/Expat, but later.

> It does not matter whether there is a networked way: AGPL says HTTP.
> Nothing else.
>
> Also, you can't rely on offering it from other networks, such as
> Savannah, because that is not the exact source running for users.  Do
> you mean that you are complying with the AGPL in spirit but not letter?

Good point, MJ!.

Previous versions of the webapp offered source download from the home page.
However after we moved the CVS to Savannah we removed that link. I have added
it again at [1]. I have added a cronjob which update it each 30 minutes.

  [1] http://www.gnuherds.org/GNU_Herds_Hackers_Guide.php#The_source_code
  [2] http://www.gnuherds.org/gnuherds-online.tar.gz

> > Are you talking about not fulfil the Affero license? !.
>
> Actually, the AGPL would be fulfilled, but no-one could take advantage
> of the immediate transmission offer because of the proxy.

Interesting. I hope GPL v3 be released soon, so we can relicense.

> I'm running a small backlog of email.  Please excuse the trimming.

No problem. It is welcome.
Just curious, what software do you use to realize the backlog?.

P.S.: Can the 'English country' problem be fixed?.

As usual, let me know anything must be fixed.
Best regards,
Davi